A Spring Plight
02-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Children were an intimate part of life that tested one’s steadfast beliefs and habits. This latest Darcy had his father’s distinguished features which only served to masked the mischievous and witty personality of he inherited from his mother. “Again,” Georgiana instructed gently, carefully guiding his smallest finger to keep hover over the next key. His hands were still small, but learning to play the piano was a a lifelong lesson. It wasn’t expected of the Young Darcy to be proficient in any instrument, but his mother was quite refreshingly progressive and wanted her son to learn all sorts of disciplines. Georgiana had happily agreed to give him his first lessons, and they could later decide if they wanted to invite a formal instructor. 

The soft trim of Ms. Darcy’s dress lightly skimmed the ground as she walked around her favorite piano as her beloved nephew practiced his scales. He was a good student, but he was prone to distraction and giggling. Georgiana didn’t mind. Her adored her nephew and he could probably get away with great mischief under her supervision. For the moment, however, her student was working his way through practice while they awaited the arrival of the Bingleys Georgiana was glad to have another sister in Jane and was anticipating their arrival. “Better,” when complimented him warmly on both tune and tempo.

24 Posts
5 Threads
Mature Topics: Yes
She
EST

Roleplayer

Posted an IntroductionJoined the Discord Server
02-22-2019, 05:05 PM
Being invited along by the Bingleys to visit with the Darcys, at Pemberley no less, was a nerve-wracking but exciting prospect. Mr. Alveston had visited a couple of times before, but never when the family was at home. His relation to the Bingleys was a simple one -- Mr. Bingley was a charming, open character who couldn't help making friends wherever he went. And as an eligible bachelor with a respectable family and career, the Bingleys had taken it upon themselves to play matchmaker.

Henry didn't mind. He very much doubted they could find him a wife -- they were not nearly pushy enough for such an endeavor -- but he enjoyed the couple's companionship. And being in their circle had helped raised his profile as an adept lawyer with friends in high places.

None nearly as high as the Darcys, however. He swallowed hard as he disembarked from their carriage and came face-to-face with the master of the house himself.

"Ah, yes, Darcy, this is our dear friend, Mr. Henry Alveston!"

"Oh, of course. Bingley has spoken of you before. Pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise, Mr. Darcy. I hope what's been said has been positive," Henry teased, getting a laugh from the Bingleys. A slight smile pulled at Mr. Darcy's lips. "I find Bingley here has never had a bad word to say about anybody."

With that, Mr. Darcy invited the small group to follow him into the manor and Henry had to catch himself from staring at the tall ceilings like an awestruck child. The sudden sounds of a haphazard attempt at the piano caught everyone's attention. Darcy paused for a brief moment before realization came over his features.

"Fitzwilliam's piano lesson," Darcy explained, which prompted a knowing nod from everyone else. "Oh, can we see him? I have some gifts I would like to give him," Mrs. Bingley chimed in and, without hesitation, Mr. Darcy guided the group towards the music room.

"Georgiana, The Bingleys have come for a visit," Mr. Darcy said upon entering the room. Immediately, his son rose from the piano bench and ran towards his father, who crouched to receive his son into his arms. "They've brought their friend, Mr. Henry Alveston."

34 Posts
9 Threads
She/Her
GMT-5

Roleplayer

02-25-2019, 11:50 PM
Fitzwilliam was soon distracted by the sounds of excited voices steadily approaching them. He shifted in his seat but kept his concentration as best as he could, always eager to impress his aunt and any new coming spectator. Georgiana patiently tapped the piano on tempo to help him finish his practice, and they were lucky to squeeze in the last few notes just as her brother entered the room. Georgiana smiled brightly at the Bingleys, excited to see Jane. Her smile faltered imperceptibly as she was introduced to a newcomer, who her brother presented as Mr. Alveston. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Alveston,” she greeted bashfully, offering a modest smile and a small curtsy. He seemed youthful and alert, which immediately interested Georgiana’s curiosity. Her brother had so many varied acquaintances, all of whom knew so much of the world. She always tried her best to make the best first impression, ensuring that all knew how wonderfully her brother was and how well he had taken care of her all these years.

Their introduction was sidetracked by Fitzwilliam’s sudden escape from his seat as he bolted for his father and found his embrace. Georgiana smiled widely at her nephew, and marveled not for the first time how her brother had changed. He had always been loving, generous and thoughtful, but his wife and son had cultivated a gentleness that softened the edges of his formal demeanor. “He’s improved much this past week,” she reported dutifully. “Perhaps he’d like to grant us a performance after dinner this evening?” She asked her nephew. The youngest Darcy beamed proudly and turned to his father. “May I, father?” He pleaded with deep brown eyes.

24 Posts
5 Threads
She
EST

Roleplayer

03-08-2019, 05:04 AM
Upon his introduction to Georgiana, Henry immediately stood a little straighter, his interest peaked rather noticeably. There was an element of confusion in his features, he wondered to himself why the Bingleys never mentioned the only sister of their beloved friend. Perhaps they had not thought the young lady would home --- which seemed to be the most obvious explanation once he spotted the pleased expression on the couple's face when they had caught wind of Georgiana's presence.

"Oh, Georgiana! How lovely!" Mrs. Bingley cried, unable to hide her genuine affection for the lady. She appeared relieved she would not be the only woman around, as the lady of the house was off visiting their mother.

"I am rather curious to hear the young gentleman play," Henry chimed in, smiling towards the young Mr. Darcy before his gaze flickered over to his charming tutor. Though he himself never properly attended to learning the piano, he knew how important it was the encourage the arts from a very young age. Though it appeared the young Mr. Darcy needed no prodding --- he was immediately enthralled by the possibility of putting on a little concert for his audience. The eldest Mr. Darcy relented.

"I hear no objections," he replied warmly, fixing his son's hair before releasing him from his embrace.

"Oh, Fitzwilliam, you must show me the renovations made to my nephew's room. Lizzy has gone on and on about it in her letters and I absolutely must see it before the day's end!" Mrs. Bingley said, glancing at her husband who immediately agreed with her. "Of course. I was concerned it would be too infantile, but Elizabeth has quite the eye. Come, we'll go look at it now."

"I'll show you, aunt! Mother let me pick the color for my bed," the youngest Darcy informed them, to which the Bingleys replied with impressed oohs and ahhs.

"I hate to be a bother," Henry suddenly chimed in, glancing at Mr. Bingley expectantly. The latter immediately seemed to remember something and gave Henry an apologetic smile. "Yes, of course. Darcy, Mr. Alveston needs to send a letter to his family promptly. Would you mind setting him up somewhere?"

34 Posts
9 Threads
She/Her
GMT-5

Roleplayer

03-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Mr. Alveston was so kind to young Fitzwilliam in his encouragement, and Georgiana was suddenly a bit nervous that her student would be performing for them that very evening. She was proud of her nephew, but the new audience member seemed to make a difference. The young lady smiled gratefully at their new acquaintance as Fitzwilliam was congratulated on such an adult decision as choosing the color in one’s bedroom.

It seemed as they were all about to make their way to the youngest Darcy’s room when Mr. Alveston reminded Mr. Bingleys of an urgent matter. Seeing the opportunity to be helpful and get to know Mr. Alveston better, Georgiana made a gentle, sweeping gesture to volunteer. “Mr. Alveston, I can show you to our drawing room where my brother keeps a small writing desk and it’s necessary accessories for just this sort of occurrence,” she offered proudly. “And then we can all meet up for a cup of tea after you visit Fitzwilliam’s room?” She glanced at the Bingleys, and watched for her brother for his usually sign of approval. Aside from being her guardian, Georgiana had learned the hard way to trust his judgment, even in the smallest of matters.

24 Posts
5 Threads
She
EST

Roleplayer

03-20-2019, 02:53 PM
"Yes, that seems most prudent," Darcy agreed, giving Georgiana an approving nod before turning to his guests and encouraging them out towards the family's more informal side of the manor. "Capital, capital!" was all the two left behind could hear as they disappeared down the hall and around a corner.

Left alone with Miss Georgiana, Henry suddenly found himself at a lost of what to do. Then he remembered the reason they were left behind -- the letter. "It is very kind of you to offer me a writing table. I would have been content with much less," Henry assured her with a friendly smile. As a busy lawyer, he was accustomed to writing letters in the most awkward of places; to actually be able to sit down with pen and paper would be a delight.

"Your nephew is very brave -- at his age, I would have crumbled under the pressure of playing in front of anyone, let alone a stranger."

34 Posts
9 Threads
She/Her
GMT-5

Roleplayer

03-28-2019, 11:03 PM
The Bingleys and the male Darcys started making their way through their home, leaving Georgiana alone with Mr. Alveston. Her fair complexion immediately colored, as she regular, modest demeanor returned when she was now the sole person to accompany their new guest. There seemed to be a moment that filled itself with silence waiting to be filled.

Georgiana sighed happily and nodded when the young man thanked her, glad that he had broken the awkward silence and made a gesture towards the corridor on her left that would lead them to the drawing room. In her mind, she thought of clever things that encouraged one's hard-earned penmanship and letter writing skills. For some reason, her ease at conversation was not accessible, and she continued blushing as she lead him down the long corridor. It was Mr. Alveston's attention to Fitzwilliam that brought out her voice and a grateful smile to accompany it.

"Fitzwilliam is a much more outgoing boy than my brother or I ever were. Much more confident at this age as well," she proudly shared. "I think that comes from his mother who is quite a wonderful woman and role model to him... and to me as well." Suddenly growing bashful again, she gently cleared her throat as she lead Mr. Alveston into the tastefully decorated room. "Please make yourself at home, Mr. Alveston," she welcomed him, pointing to the desk in question. "Would you like some tea while you write your letters?" she offered, determined to be a competent and gracious hostess.

24 Posts
5 Threads
She
EST

Roleplayer

04-18-2019, 10:18 PM
"Oh, yes, Mrs. Darcy --- Mrs. Bingley's sister," he stated, then subsequently felt foolish for feeling as though he had to explain her own family to her. More than likely, he realized, he was trying to let it be known that he and the Bingleys had a close relationship; one close enough that Mrs. Bingley felt comfortable speaking of her family beyond just her husband and parents. He fell uncharacteristically silent, relieved when she showed him to the stately writing desk near large windows overlooking beautiful gardens.

Pemberley was as breathtaking as he'd been told and now he found himself in the company of one of its residents.

"That would be most kind," he croaked, clearing his throat and giving a nervous smile to no one in particular before he bowed slightly and quickly made his way to the desk. Henry was about to bend himself over the stationary and tune out the rest of the world as he attended to his correspondence when he abruptly felt the urge to speak. Now that was more like the talkative lawyer.

"Would it be rude to ask you to join me for tea? I enjoy the company. And perhaps you can help me with my letter to my parents," he mused, grinning widely, "my mother complains of my letters being impersonal and technical. And Mrs. Bingley is practically on clouds whenever she receives a letter from you, so I can only conclude you are a capital writer and my much needed savior," he jested with a chuckle.

34 Posts
9 Threads
She/Her
GMT-5

Roleplayer

09-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Georgiana bowed her head in response before Mr. Alveston turned the desk. Surely, he had very important things to write about. Business that couldn't wait and things she wasn't expected to understand. She had taken a small step backwards and had half turned around, planning to retreat silently to search for her brother, but was drawn back by an unusual invitation. Well, the tea wasn't unusual, it was actually quite nice, but he surprised her with his request for her assistance.

The younger Darcy allowed herself a small, indulgent giggle and blushed to hear that Jane enjoyed her letters so as to share it with others. She was always happy to update Jane on their nephew and other tidbits around Pemberly, and always tried her best to share with Jane as much as could be done by the written letter. "I'm not sure I am anyone's savior, Mr. Alveston, but if my so-called talents will help you in your correspondence in any way, I will be glad to be of service." Georgiana wasn't sure she had assisted anyone in writing a letter before, but surely it couldn't be too difficult. She definitely believed that a business man like Mr. Alveston could sometimes forget the type of sentiment a family member needs after countless, serious letters one would write to associates. While her own brother had always been affectionate with her, she definitely recalled at least half a dozen notes that felt a bit dry. She went to the door and arranged for tea for two and went back towards their new guest. She took a seat close -but not too close- to the writing desk, where she wasn't reading his letter but where she could at least offer her advice when prompted.

24 Posts
5 Threads
She
EST

Roleplayer

09-21-2019, 02:23 AM
Whenever color bloomed on her cheeks, Henry could not help but stare --- a rather silly smile spread on his lips as he watched her, before catching himself and realizing it was inappropriate.

He, however, was a single bachelor of good reputation and standing.

And, she, a goddess.

He cleared his throat before picking up his cup of tea and welcoming a proper moment to be silent and simply watch her. Even if it were only fleeting seconds. Carefully placing the cup back down on its tray, he busied himself with assuring the ink and quill were ready. Of course they were.

"Right, then. So, I shall start with the address. I was thinking 'Dearest Mr. and Mrs. Alveston, this is your third born -- Henry Alveston -- happily informing you that I am alive and well.' Happily or relieved to inform you... well, the latter makes it sound as though I am at war," he thought out loud, quite content with making a fool of himself to make Georgiana laugh. "Although, if you have ever been a defense attorney, it would certainly feel that way after a loss. Which there are many."

34 Posts
9 Threads
She/Her
GMT-5

Roleplayer